Sauté Legumes from the 2010 NYC Marathon Eve Dinner
This month’s recipe is from the NYC Marathon Eve dinner that I attended last month, the night before I ran the race. The dinner was surprisingly good with a mix of lasagna, vegetables, salad and bread. My favorite was this amazing vegetable dish! So, when I got home, I emailed the NYRR to see if there was any way they could track down the recipe for me and they did! I got the “official” recipe card emailed to me and now I can share it with you guys! Now..keep in mind that this recipe is to feed A LOT of people! So, you are going to have to do the math and scale it back a little, unless you are having a dinner party for 12,000. The dinner was really good (I’m picky) and would recommend it to anyone that runs the race next year.
Sauté Legumes (official recipe!)
*The amounts below are for 1 PAN that serves 30 people, so make sure you adjust. I thought you’d like to see the totals they used for the night (400 Pans!), so those amounts are in the parentheses. Pretty impressive! Check out the 50lbs of butter! Yikes!
Haricots verts (green beans), partially cooked & trimmed – 2 lbs (800lbs)
Yellow Wax Beans, partially cooked & trimmed – 2lbs (800lbs)
Garbanzo Beans, fully cooked – 1 lb (400lbs)
Garlic, finely chopped – 2 T (15lbs)
Shallots, finely chopped – 3 T (21.5lbs)
Lemon Thyme, finely chopped – 3 T (12lbs)
Butter, unsalted – 2 oz. (50lbs)
White wine – 6 oz. (2.35 gallons)
Kosher Salt – 3T
Black Pepper, ground – 1.5T
Method of Preparation:
- On high heat, use ½ C canola or soy oil and heat in large skillet. Add butter and brown slightly.
- Add shallots, garlic & lemon thyme. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until translucent. Do not brown.
- Add white wine and deglaze pan for 1 minute.
- Add your partially cooked green and yellow beans to skillet and continue to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Garbanzo beans and sauté additional 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.