My family and I just got back from a super fun staycation at the Margaritaville Resort at Lake Conroe, TX. It’s perfect for families in the Houston area that want a tropical resort vibe, but don’t want the hassle of flying somewhere or taking a long roadtrip with little kids. Don’t let the name fool you….this place isn’t just for grown-ups! There are a ton of things to do with kids of all ages and could even be a romantic getaway for a couple. Scroll down to snag my coupon code for a discount! Here is what we loved about this resort…
We stayed in one of the lakeside cottages which are super cute and very spacious. We had a loft cottage, so our 2 older kids each had a bed (and tv) of their own. When you first walk in, you are in the living room which has a sleeper sofa, tv, desk and plenty of room for a large family to relax. There is a small kitchenette in the middle that has a full sized refrigerator/freezer, sink, coffee maker (with coffee pods and bottles of water). The large bathroom is in the hallway with 2 sinks (with cute fishtail faucets!), a large shower and lots of storage and counter space. The main bedroom is in the back with a king bed, night tables and a large closet. The decor was amazing. I seriously felt like I was at a tropical resort in the Bahamas. If you want something more in the center of the action – you may want to get a room (or one of the large suites) in the main hotel building. They also have the cute tropical decor and many rooms have balconies.
There were two main restaurants open when we went (the others are closed for the season). License To Chill Bar and Cafe and the Landshark Bar and Grill. License to Chill is located in the main hotel building and has indoor seating and lots of great patio seating overlooking one of the pools. The food was really great – we ate breakfast here both mornings and my kids said the pancakes here are the best! I opted for a egg-white and veggie skillet which was healthier and super tasty! They had a lot of other great options too. One night we had dinner to-go and sat outside to eat by the fire-pits. The ahi tuna salad was amazing! They have a kids menu too with lots of options. Landshark Bar and Grill is adjacent to the pool area and is a free-standing large restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the lake and beach, as well as an indoor restaurant (and gift shop) and bar. We got lunch to-go here one day and ate by the pool. They have a kids menu and tons of unique salads, burgers and sandwiches….oh and of course margaritas! For dinner, we sat outside near the fire-pit and the kids played at the enclosed beach area (there are also palapas and outdoor chairs in the sand). Our fish tacos were great and they have a really good key lime pie if you want to indulge!
The pools here are probably the main attraction. They have a large resort pool with infinity edge (chilling out here with a margarita at sunset is a must) and hot tub. The kids area is a little seperate, which is nice if you are on an adult trip. There is a huge kids/resort pool that has water slides, large stair entry and is heated, which we really enjoyed. Next to the kids area is a toddler pool/splash pad that has a cool pirate ship with slides and activities for the younger age (probably under 10) and zero entry pool for toddlers. As if that wasn’t enough – there is also a lazy river with tubes!
I love a good fitness center when I travel. However, during Covid I’ve kinda steered away, especially if it’s crowded. Well, the fitness center here is HUGE (it’s in its own building) with plenty of room to space out. The cardio equipment is in one room and strength training in another. Prefer to take a morning yoga class or group fitness class? They have that too! They have pilates room (with reformers), spin studio room and group fitness room and offer classes daily (check the resort’s schedule). The St. Somewhere Spa is also in its own building and is very spacious. The relaxation room is just that…very relaxing with water, teas and other treats you can enjoy before/after your treatment. I opted for the signature massage which was wonderful. The property is spread out, so if you like to run or walk, you can create some cool routes along the water and docks. There is also mini golf which is fun for the whole family – or if you are into “real” golf, there is a course nearby.
Other Amenities We Loved
- Grab and go food at Joe Merchant is great and they have a nice mix of healthy snacks, breakfast sandwiches made daily, pizzas and even Starbucks.
- The lake! If you have time, you can rent a boat onsite and take your family out for a cruise! They also have a selection of kayaks and other water sports rentals. Being on the water definitely helps give the place a more tropical vacay vibe.
- I also just really loved the decor! The entire resort is filled with nautical and tropical decor and furniture and you can tell a lot of thought went into every little detail.
- The landscaping is also super pretty with all the mature palm trees and plants.
- You may want to pack a stroller if you get a cottage that is farther away from the resort.
- If the weather is bad, you can order food to-go from one of the restaurants and eat in your cottage or even order Door Dash or delivery.
- Landshark Bar and Grill has a great fire-pit and they used to do s’mores. You may want to bring your own as back-up and they will let you make them yourselves.
- There isn’t a baby changing station in the lobby bathroom, but if you go upstairs next to the arcade – the restrooms there have one.
- They play music nonstop out by the pools and Landshark Bar and Grill. It’s a great mix and keeps the vacay vibes going, but sometimes it can be a bit loud. If you don’t want to hear it from your cottage – I suggest getting a cottage with a higher number so that you are farther away. I actually called the front desk and asked them politely if they would turn the music down one day and they did it immediately and were so nice.