I made this salad last week and loved it! I found the recipe in this month’s Fitness magazine. You can reduce your calories & fat by cutting out the bread w/herbed goat cheese or just do less of it! The recipe makes 4 large servings, so you can reduce it for smaller portions.
Butter Lettuce Salad With Blackberries, White Beans and Goat Cheese Toast
Prep Time: 12min
Cook Time: 3 min
- 1 whole-wheat baguette, cut into eight 1/2-inch slices
- 2 ouncesÂ herbed goat cheese
- 2 heads butter or Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2 tablespoonsÂ fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoonsÂ sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoonsÂ extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoonÂ Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoonsÂ honey
- 1/4 teaspoonÂ salt
- 1/4 teaspoonÂ freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cupÂ blackberries
1. Preheat the broiler. Place the bread on a baking sheet and spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cheese onto each piece. Broil until bread is toasted and cheese is lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
2. Combine the lettuce, beans, red onion and tarragon in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, salt and black pepper; add to the salad and toss. Divide among four serving plates. Scatter 1/4 cup of the blackberries over each salad. Serve each with 2 goat cheese toasts.