Tone It cUpcakes!
I decided to try this recipe from the “Tone it up” girls this weekend and I was very surprised…these things are actually really good! Katrina and Karena of “Tone it Up” came up with this exclusive recipe on their own. It’s great because they use protein powder, wheat flour and stevia instead of regular sugar and white flour. I love the tips of using different flavored protein powder in the cupcake mix and frosting (all I had was vanilla)Â and also the tip to use crushed raspberries to make the pink frosting.
***Be sure to subscribe to our Tone It Up eMagazine so you can get other great recipes as well as my article and yoga video!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Combine dry ingredientsâ€¦
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder -see below!
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 3 tbs natural stevia powderâ€¦ or 6 packets of stevia natural sweetener
Add one at a time to dry mix with a whiskâ€¦
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain organic yogurt (this will add moisture)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
** to make chocolate cupcakes, add 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and replace vanilla protein powder with chocolate powder.
Spray olive oil cooking Pam on paper liners in cupcake pan. Â Pour mix in no more than 1/2 to 3/4 full (do not overfill). Â We used mini cupcake trays and they were perfect! Â Bake for 14-17 minutes or until middle is cooked (use a tooth pick and make sure it comes out dry when you test them). Â Let cool before you frost them!
Tone It Up Frosting
- 1 cup light cream cheese
- 2 tbs plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup stevia powder
- You can crush raspberries to make the frosting pink too!
***A FUN FITNESS TIP!! We added our favorite protein powder Muscle Milk to the cupcake batter and frosting!
- Light Vanilla Creme Muscle Milk makes the cupcakes lower carb and much more like a vanilla cupcake Â 🙂
- LightÂ Chocolate Mint Muscle Milk in place of 1/4 of the powdered sugar in our frosting makes a lower sugar mint chocolate frosting! Â This is what we did for our launch party and everyone was raving about the it.