Tone Up By New Year’s Eve
Most of you probably spent the last week or so with family and friends and indulged in a few holiday treats and your New Year’s Eve party dress was probably the last thing on your mind. Now it’s 4 days away!! Don’t panic ….you can still tone up (and de-bloat) in time so that you look amazing in your NYE party dress! Four days is not enough time to lose a lot of weight (probably not more than 1-2lbs safely) but you can still firm up your muscles and lose a little body fat so that you have a more “toned” look. In order to do this – you need to be very strict with your diet and workouts over the next 4 days. This is just a suggested plan – so please check with your doctor before you start it, especially if you have any injuries or health issues.
- Stay hydrated! This is so important to help you de-bloat and it will also make your skin look good!
- Eat breakfast every day – even if it’s just 1/2 a banana or a handful of almonds. Then, make sure to eat every 3 hours so that you consume 5-6 meals a day. Your meals should consists of about 10-15g of protein, 1-2 veggies and 1 serving of complex carb. You can have dairy as a mini meal or snack as long as it’s fat-free (watch the sugar too – especially in yogurts). Avoid alcohol (yes – even this weekend!) until NYE – it’s just extra calories you don’t need.
- Avoid sodium and salt (causes bloat).
- Eliminate sugar from your diet unless it’s in the form of fruit. You can have fruit as part of your breakfast in the morning or as a late night snack if you want something sweet.
- Before you go out that night – make sure to eat a healthy snack or light dinner so that you won’t be tempted to overeat. Also, try to alternate water with your cocktail(s) of choice to eliminate bloat and dehydration.
- Do 2 workouts a day. This will boost your metabolism (watch my eHow.com video). Start your day with a walk, run or workout dvd if it’s too cold to go outside. Aim for at least 20-30minutes (just set your alarm a little early!). Then, in the afternoon or when you get off work – hit the weights. Do this sample workout each day:
Sample NYE Toning Circuit
* Repeat this entire circuit 3-4 times all the way through with minimal rest in between exercises. This workout should be done with 2 dumbbells at a weight that makes it hard to complete 12-15 reps. The heavier the weights (with good form!) the harder you will work your muscles and that means MORE toning!! For most of you – I would recommend at least 8lb weights.
- 15 Pushups (no weights) – try to do them on your toes and drop to your knees only if your form is bad.
- 15 sets of Reverse Lunges or Walking Lunges if you have room (hold weights). This is 30 lunges total (15 on each leg).
- 15 Overhead Shoulder Presses (don’t arch your back!)
- 15 Squats (balance each weight on your shoulders out of the way and hold on the ends).
- 15 Bent Over Rows (keep back flat, knees slightly bent and pinch shoulder blades together when you bring weights up). Tip: This is a great move if you are planning to show off your back!
- 20 Burpees (no weights) – Get that heart rate up to burn more calories!
- 15 Bicep Curls
- 15 Tricep Kickbacks (same form as bent over rows: flat back, knees slightly bent – and keep elbows at 90 degrees). If you have access to a bench you can do seated tricep dips instead but up your reps to 20.
- Abs (no weight): 20 V-ups + 20 Heel Raises + 20 Side Plank Dips (on your forearms and do each side)
Self tanner will give you the appearance of more toned arms and legs and you can find good ones everywhere from Wal-Mart to Sephora. My favorites include Loreal Sublime Bronze, ones from Victoria’s Secret and Kate Somerville Tanning Towelettes. Also, professional spray tans work wonders and I’m also a van of the VersaSpa.