Sweet Potato Salad – Perfect For the 4th!
I’m a Texas girl and in Texas – you can’t have a bbq without potato salad. But, we all know how bad potato salad is for you – it’s loaded in fat and calories! I adapted this recipe from a similar one I found on Bodybuilding.com. I used sweet potatoes vs. white/russet potatoes because they have more vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein compared to the other variety. Also, I swapped out some of the fatty mayo for low-fat mayo and also used greek yogurt to make it even lighter (and it adds more protein). I threw in a little kale and some corn for extra veggies and some onion and spices for an extra kick.
- Approximately 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 diced hard boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup cooked corn (I like Trader Joe’s frozen “roasted corn”)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- ~1 oz goat cheese crumbled
- ~1 oz shredded parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup light mayo
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional – adds a kick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bake potatoes in an oven at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes or until soft (but not too soft!). You can also microwave them if you are short on time.
- Remove and allow to cool for about 10 minutes on a rack and then dice the potatoes into 1-inch chunks. You can remove the skin or leave it on.
- In a large bowl, toss together all of the other ingredients (except for the dressing) and then add in the potatoes.
- Finally, add the dressing and top with parsley.
*This is estimated based on a similar recipe.