Summer is almost here, but there is no reason to panic! If you start with good workouts and healthy choices now, you’ll be in bikini shape by Memorial Day! Here are my top 10 tips for getting into bikini body shape, plus a sample workout that I’m currently doing right now!
1. Keep your sodium levels really low and don’t add any extra salt to food. Try herbs and non-salt flavorings like Mrs. Dash.
2. Drink plenty of water and avoid sodas.
3. Do at least 30-45 minutes of cardio most days of the week. 2-3 days isn’t going to cut it! Try for 5-6.
4. Make sure you are doing your ab exercises at the END of your workout, not in the beginning or middle.
5. Eat 5-6 small meals a day.
6. Eat breakfast within an hour of when you wake up.
7. Don’t forget to work shoulders. If you have nice shoulders, it can make your waist look smaller.
8. Push yourself during your workouts. If you aren’t sweating, it’s not hard enough and you won’t lose weight or body fat.
9. If you are too self-conscious to go to the gym (or you get too distracted w/friends, etc), make a gym at home, hit the park or do another outdoor workout. Don’t use excuses.
10. Try some self-tanner, bronzer or a spray tan. My favorites are the Versa Spa and also the Glow Fusion tanner from Sephora (it’s clear).
Cari’s Sample Bikini Workout (1 hr) – Intermediate Level
What you’ll need: 1 10-20lb kettlebell; a jumprope; 1 set of medium hand weights 8-15lbs; 1 Bosu (optional), 1 mat or carpet for abs
- Warmup with kickboxing punches, kicks, etc. for 5 minutes
- Jumprope for 5 minutes (if you don’t have jumprope do jumping jacks or jog in place)
- 30 Bosu pushups. 1 set 1o reps with left hand on bosu (round side), 1 set 10 with right hand on bosu and 1 set of 10 with the bosu flat side up and both hands on handles. I do all three sets with no rest.
- Single leg squat with one foot on round side of bosu ball (center). 30 on each leg and keep hips back like you do in a regular squat. Then, mix in 1 set 15 front shoulder raises on each arm. Repeat for 2 sets both exercises.
- 20 Kettlebell swings (*only do this if you are confident you have good form. If not, jog in place or do jumprope)
- Chest Fly on bosu (rest neck and back on ball and use legs feet to keep hips up like a bridge position). 20 reps. Mix in kneeling kickbacks on the ground (“donkey kicks”, etc) no weight – 50 reps each leg. Repeat both chest and leg exercises for 2 sets.
- Reverse lunge with woodchop (hold one weight in both hands and twist weight up with tight core as you stand to the top after each lunge). 20 each leg.
- Jumprope for 5 minutes.
- Standing bicep curls 15 reps + 20 kettlebell swings. Repeat both for 2 sets.
- Overhead tricep dip/extension 15 reps + 20 kettlebell swings. Repeat both for 2 sets.
- Bent over rows 15 reps (squeeze shoulder blades) plus 40 calf raises. Repeat both for 2 sets.
- Jumprope 5 minutes.
- Abs: 10 minutes of side crunches, regular & side planks, v-ups, Russian twists, etc. Make your abs burn!