Recipe(s) of the Month – Perfect For the 4th!
I’m a little behind on my recipe posts! So, I thought I’d share 2 this month that are perfect for the holiday weekend!
Spicy Grilled Tempeh
(recipe courtesy of Whole Foods)
Tempeh’s firm texture makes it a perfect match for the grill. In this delightfully simple recipe, tangy lime juice and Mexican spices mingle to create a remarkable marinade. Serve this tempeh with taco fixings or alongside a heaping platter of grilled vegetables.
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon adobo (from a can of chipotles in adobo) or salsa
1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
Whisk together lime juice, oil, tamari, chili powder, garlic, oregano, cloves and adobo in a wide, shallow dish. Arrange tempeh in dish, turn to coat all over with marinade, cover and chill, turning halfway through, for 2 hours or overnight.
Grease grates with oil then preheat grill to medium heat. Grill tempeh, flipping once, until browned and hot throughout, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to plates and serve.
Per serving (about 5oz/150g-wt.): 310 calories (190 from fat), 21g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1310mg sodium, 15g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 1g sugar), 23g protein
(courtesy of Family Fun Magazine)
- These berries look so festive and will satisfy your sweet tooth just as good as a cupcake or other high-fat and high-calorie treat. *If you want to cut the sugar and calories even more, you can swap the white chocolate for a small amount of powdered sugar or Stevia.
- 12 ounces white chocolate chips*
- Blue sugar or edible glitter
1. Melt 12 ounces of white chocolate chips in a microwave according to the package directions (make sure the container and the berries are dry; even a little moisture will alter the texture of the candy).
2. One at a time, dip strawberries into the chocolate and then into blue sugar or edible glitter.
3. Set them to harden on waxed paper.
4. Makes 35 to 45 decorated berries.