My Healthy Morning Routine With My Dog Smudge
Starting a healthy morning routine is important – not just for yourself but your family and your dog! If you have kids – this is a great time of year to get into a healthy routine so it sets the tone for the school year. But, don’t just think about your “back to school” routine for your 2-legged family members! It’s important to include your dog in your morning routine as well! Did you know according to the “Milk-Bone Human-Canine Health Study” — a survey of 3,000 U.S. dog parents conducted by Milk-Bone brand dog treats — pet parents who include their dogs in family health routines lead healthier lives themselves.
I take my basset hound Smudge with me almost every morning for a walk and that way if I’m too busy the rest of the day – at least he’s fit in his workout in the morning! Did you know he also has his own workout video?!
My healthy morning routine:
- I usually go for a run in the mornings, but my baby still isn’t sleeping through the night (sigh)…so if I don’t get much sleep I will just go for a walk or do some yoga. But, before I leave I have a quick snack like a piece of toast or half of a plain english muffin.
- Then, after my run I come home and have a light breakfast with protein (I like eggs and toast or a whey protein shake with spinach and banana) and some coffee. Then I feed the kids and give Smudge his breakfast and it’s time to head to the park! I put the kids in my double jogging stroller and leash up Smudge and we are ready to go. Once we are there – I sometimes do walking lunges around the park while Smudge sniffs around or I squeeze in some pushups on the playground while my kids play.
- Once we are home I give Smudge a couple of Milk-Bone Good Morning Daily Vitamin Treats (which provide beneficial nutrients not found in most dog foods). He loves having treats after his workout and I like to give him a little healthy reward!
More healthy morning tips:
- Always eat breakfast. If you aren’t hungry – try just a half of a banana, some green juice or a few almonds. You never want to exercise on an empty stomach or you won’t be able to last long.
- Try to hold off on emails or social media until after your workout or breakfast. Take some time in the morning just for you and unplug!
- Try to fit in some activity in the morning – even if it’s just going for a walk with your dog.
- Take some time to breathe and relax before you start your day. Doing a quick at-home yoga routine is a great way to de-stress before you head out the door.
This has been a sponsored post by MilkBone – although all opinions are my own.