How to Plan a Healthy Vacation – 10 Tips That Work
In this post:
- Cari’s favorite healthy resorts
- Cari’s favorites to pack
- Creative ideas to keep you fit
Most of us will be traveling at some point this summer either for vacation, to visit family or for work. Just keep in mind that nothing is worse than coming back from vacation to find out you’ve packed on the pounds! Follow my tips below and try my one of my sample workouts in the Summer Workout Series featured on CBS so that maybe this summer you’ll actually lose a few pounds instead of gaining them.
Pick a Healthy Resort…
Travaasa (Austin)– This place is amazing. Ever heard of “Bull Fitness”?! I hadn’t either but it involves riding a mechanical bull and I HAVE to try it next time! They have amazing healthy food at this resort (my favorite was Chef Ben’s mushroom tacos) and each day is packed full of optional exercises and activities from yoga, hiking, wine tasting, etc. that are all free. It’s easy to stay fit when you stay here.
Secrets Resorts (Mexico, Caribbean) – This all-inclusive chain has a variety of fitness classes offered (I teach at one resort each year!) and many fun activities to keep you moving. Each resort usually has many restaurants including one for seafood (lots of grilled options), sushi (a good choice) and even a healthy breakfast buffet. Just watch your portions and the alcoholic beverages or you will undo all of your hard work.
Hotel ZaZa (Houston) – This is a great hotel if you are visiting Houston. They are close to many museums (great exercise walking to/from!) and also Hermann Park where there is a great running trail. Your four-legged friends are also welcome here, so they can join you for a morning run!
Silverado Resort (Napa, CA) – I stayed here a few weeks ago for my Oakley Retreat and it was great. The resort is huge – so you get in tons of walking (they also have friendly golf cart shuttles), 2 pools, tennis and other activities. My favorite part of the trip was touring Napa via bike. Ask the hotel to set up a route for you or even a guided tour where you can ride your bike to many of the wineries.
Hilton (Worldwide) – When traveling for work, I usually stay at Hilton’s and try to rack up my points! But, one of the reasons I like Hilton’s is because they offer many options to keep you fit. For instance – they have a “Stay Fit Kit” that you can request at almost any of their hotels (including chains like Hilton Garden Inn, etc). The kit is great to use in your hotel room and comes with a mat, yoga block, resistance band and other items like hand-weights and medicine balls (kits may vary). This is great if you are packing light or forget to pack workout gear. They also have some healthier options on their restaurant menus and in-room dining.
- Kashi bars – I never go on vacation without packing a few.
- Henri Bendel travel accessories – They have the cutest pool towels, travel bags for workout clothes (pictured above) and other fun accessories. Their flagship store in NYC is amazing but they now have smaller stores all over the US – including Houston!
- Workout DVD (try mine!) or Fitness App (I like Nike NTC). Sometimes I pack a dvd if I have my laptop or I just use an app.
- Oakley sunglasses – These are great for running outside but also looking stylish!
- Jumprope and Resistance Band – I always pack these in case there isn’t a gym and they don’t take up space.
10 Tips to make your vacations more healthy:
- Pack workout equipment in case there isn’t a good gym (see above).
- Grab extra fruit in the morning (at the buffet, restaurant, bakery, etc) and eat throughout the day.
- Workout first thing in the morning and get it over with.
- Walk as much as possible or rent bikes to go sightseeing. Near a beach? Swim, snorkel, kayak or do stand up paddle boarding.
- Spend more time in your bikini! It will motivate you to workout!
- Keep healthy snacks in your hotel room. If you don’t want to pack them, have them shipped via Amazon ahead of time or hit a local store.
- Research healthy restaurants at your destination. Try a cool restaurant that specializes in organic and healthy fare.
- Plan out your week once you get to your resort and schedule time every day for something active.
- As the concierge for local hiking or running trails that are safe.
- Grab a bunch of healthy magazines to read on the plane so you can get inspired on the way to your destination!