Two Efficient Workouts to Use When You Are Short On Time
Now that I’m a new mom – I don’t have as much time to go to the gym as I’d like. So, when I am able to go – the last thing I want to do is wander around trying to decide what body part to work or waiting for my favorite machines. The best way to maximize your time is to double up and either mix in cardio and/or mix in another body part while you rest the one you just worked.
Last week I did these 2 workouts. I moved through the crowded gym efficiently (unfortunately I usually have to go at night and it’s super crowded then) so I was able to get in and out in under an hour. I was also sore the next day, which I love.
#1 Efficient Total Body Gym Workout
I jogged the back stairs at the gym (this is a great trick to fit in extra cardio or if you are bored with machines) for about 5-7 min before I started. Then, I grabbed a 15lb kettlebell and headed into the weight room.
- Seated leg extension (quad) + Seated overhead shoulder press with kettlebell x 4 sets (I did the quad machine, R shoulder, Left shoulder -> repeat for 4 sets)
- Seated back pulley/row machine + seated overhead tricep extensions with kettlebell x 4 sets
- Leg press machine + seated calf raise on leg press machine (just lower the weight a lot) x 4 sets
- Deadlifts with barbell + Bicep curls with barbell x 4 sets
*abs at home
#2 Jumprope Upper Body Circuit
I jumped rope for approximately 1-2 minutes between each set, except for the biceps and triceps because they were in a crowded area of the gym and I didn’t want to lose my spot. When I first started off I went slow and then gradually as my workout progressed I went faster with the rope and did some fancier footwork ; ) You can check out the video below for an example.
- Chest presses on BOSU ball (you could also use a bench). 3 sets flyes, 2 sets presses (jumprope 1-2min in between each set)
- Shoulder presses – 4 sets heavy weight w/ dumbbells
- Dumbell Deadlifts – 3 sets
- Tricep pulldown with cable machine (rope) + Bicep curls with barbell x 4 sets (Sometimes I just lower the rope to the bottom position of the pulley and use that for biceps (like a hammer curl).
*abs at home